The newest innovations in Marine & Awning Canvas are here! SeaDuck Fabric Marine & Awning Textile Solutions sold exclusively by Big Duck Canvas. The 100% Solution dyed acrylic yarns are sourced from Dolan, the leading manufacturer in the world of acrylic yarns. Dolan is well known in the industry for producing the most vibrant long lasting colors available. SeaDuck Fabric comes with all the features you would expect from a top performing outdoor fabric plus a ten year warranty. This fabric is the best option for awnings, umbrellas, beach lounge chairs, sling back chairs, Bimini tops, boat covers, banners and more! Get your samples today!
Check out the technical specifications of SeaDuck in the PDF below:
Seaduck Fabric Technical Features
Spring is almost here and Big Duck Canvas has the perfect new outdoor fabric for your projects. Ready? If you can tell by the photo collage I am really inspired by these STRIPES right now. Why not make your own outdoor space feel like a timeless getaway with Outdura™ fabrics? The stripe fabric can completely transform the entire feel of a space even with just a little addition of a few pillows or a lounge chair. It really doesn’t take much! These are not just any stripes either. This fabric is the REAL DEAL for outdoors. Outdura™ stripe fabric will perform perfectly against the weather, remain bright and bold for years, and offers a 6 year warranty to back it up! Request Free Samples HERE!
I have been practicing with these Outdura fabrics on the best way to cut and sew solution dyed acrylic. Stay tuned for some sewing tips!
It all starts with the fiber, which is Acrylic. Acrylic definitely doesn’t sound fancy, especially since most people are familiar with it from its common use in apparel as a cheaper alternative to things like wool and cashmere. Have you seen the extremely brightly colored acrylic yarns at the craft store? The acrylic yarns are the brightest because of the fibers natural ability to absorb and hold onto color extremely well. So how does this common fiber become what we call the “BEST OUTDOOR FABRIC?”
During the solution dyeing process the acrylic is actually dyed while it is still in a soft viscous state. The dye becomes apart of this fiber substance along with other stabilizers permanently locking in color. Propriety Outdura™ finishes prevent water, dirt, humidity from permeating the surface. Acrylic does not support mold or mildew growth and can even be cleaned with bleach. The finished Outdura™ fabric comes with a 1o year warranty !
For a long time the 9.5oz fabric was made for awnings & umbrellas. Solution Dyed Acrylic fabric gained its long lasting reputation through that use. The fabrics ability to maintain rich color for years and years is fantastic! Now Outdura™ offers solution dyed acrylic in a lighter 8oz weight perfect for outdoor upholstery. It is softer and user friendly on any type of sewing machine. Basically its an awning fabric you can cover your furniture with that has a soft feel!
So yes, it sounds a whole lot like Sunbrella. Sunbrella also makes their fabrics with the same acrylic fiber and same warranty. There are many similarities, but a few big differences that led us to Outdura. Before we distributed either fabric we did a little homework. Check out our article Outdura vs. Sunbrella.
We are offering great wholesale prices and bulk discounts on our Outdura™ fabric. As usual we offer Free Samples, so you can see for yourself!
Every time I go hiking or camping I see 1000 Denier all over the place. As much as I am trying to disconnect from work I cannot stop thinking about textiles and fabric because I get a kick out of examining everyone’s gear. 1000 Denier dominates the Outdoor bag market because it produces lightweight quality gear that holds up for years and years. I find that people love to talk about how long they’ve had their backpack or bag and all the places it has gone with them. Thank you 1000D!
I know several outdoor enthusiast that have become inspired to make their own gear and aren’t sure what fabric to search for when sourcing fabric. 1000 Denier is a really good start. Free samples are available!
Obviously back packs are made from all sorts of canvas fabrics, cottons, synthetics, waxed canvas, BUT most people sourcing fabric for backpacks are looking for 1000 Denier Polyester. The name brand backpacks out there with those famous lifetime warranties… they are made from 100o Denier Fabric. Now, the buckles, zippers and straps MUST also be top quality, but it’s the fabric that makes up 95% of the backpack and is harder to replace if it fails unlike a buckle.
Check out and older post answering “What is Denier?”
Major retailers like Pottery Barn and J.Crew are all offering bags and accessories these days. For the men, The Dopp Kit has become standard. Just like a cosmetic bag, it is going to spend a lot of time on the bathroom counter top. The fabrics need to be water resistant and pretty heavy duty for such a small accessory bag. Sewing heavyweight fabrics can be tricky on such a small scale, so there is a balance of fabrics that will be the best performing and most manageable to sew. Here is a list of the best fabrics to consider for Dopp Kits with some real examples of of each thrown in.
1.Waxed Canvas– Waxed Canvas seems to be the most popular choice for Dopp Kit’s these days. It is ideal for getting wet on a regular basis, it is heavy duty, and it looks upscale with leather trim and vintage brass details. Check out examples on Land’s End, J.Crew, and Etsy. All of these are made with waxed canvas exteriors.
2. #10 (15oz) Double Filled Cotton duck will require an industrial sewing machine & experienced seamstress. It can be a beast to handle with small scale patterns, but the results are worth it! We have some good color variety to choose from. Blue Claw Co has a dopp kit that is 14oz. that looks really heavy duty and durable.
3. Army Duck– This fabric is one of easiest fabrics to sew on this list and one of the most durable. It is 10.10oz with the dense army duck weave for the best of both worlds.
4. 600 Denier Polyester is commonly used for the exterior and interior of the bag. Sometimes even as a bottom trim for extra stability. It is a dream to sew. Our solution dyed polyester is made to battle the elements, so the bathroom sink is easy. Pottery Barn and OGIO on Amazon are both examples of Dopp Kits that are made with 600 Denier Polyester.
5. 1000 Denier Polyester is very similar to 600 Denier, just a bit heavier. It can more than handle use as a Dopp Kit. This fabric is commonly found used for luggage and outdoor gear bags. Check out DSPTCH.
6. 12oz Cotton Duck is often referred to as our most versatile fabric. It is heavy enough to be called durable and drapes well enough to be used in decor applications. We even offer 12oz Carhartt Factory Seconds that would make some very nice shaving bags. Maybe Carhartt Brown with some leather trim! Here are a couple of Dopp Kits that look suspiciously like 12oz Cotton Duck on Pottery Barn and Etsy
Linings – Coated Synthetic Fabrics and lightweight Vinyls are perfect for the interior. It is best to use a fabric that can be wiped down. Our 600 Denier Coated Polyester makes a great lining!